Wednesday, June 8, 2011

It's Been Too Long...I need some BBQ

Well summer is coming and like this past winter, I am long overdue for some blogging and barbeque. A great deal of time has passed since my quest for the great Shandy has started and ended with a whimper. Why did it end and why have I not been posting, well its pretty simple. I got fat. Way too fat to type as a matter fact. I couldn't really stand it, but like any addict I'm on the road to recovery. Like any good recovery program it starts with a healthy attitude. I've turned away from filling my previously expanding gullet with just anything. Our household has made a conscious effort to increase its cooking during the week. This has been a tough task to accomplish because of the overly active 9 year old that lives on the premises. However, we have made it. I won't bore you with the details of my weightloss or how to do it that is not the point of this exercise. The point of this is to find and eat great food, create and find great recipes and simply life by enjoying what's on your plate. So my life has gone from a 2 year blob fest, to a palate tempting mission every night.

So to start things off on the right foot, my wife decided to volunteer me to help cook pulled pork sandwiches for the Teacher's Appreciation Luncheon at the end of the year. Now normally I would fire up my smoker and do the low and slow route, but it was torrential downpours all week. If this were for me, yeah, I'd be soaking wet. For a tasting preview for the person in charge, I go the simple way. I bought some Bone Suckin' Sauce and Rub and got to work. Bone Suckin' Sauce Seasoning and Rub 3-6.2 oz Pkgs

Basically for pulled pork the easy way. Take a spice rub and liberally sprinkle and rub it into a pork shoulder (also know as boston butt) and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight. Fill a slow cooker or dutch oven with a cooking liquid. This can be water, water and apple juice combination, water juice and bourbon. Whatever flavors you enjoy can work here. For a more latin flavor instead of apple juice, thrown in orange or lime juice. Again its really limited by your imagination. The liquid should come up to about half way on the meat. I set the slowcooker on low and cook for 6 hours. After about three hours I flip the meat. At the five hour mark I test it. It should pull easily apart when poked with a fork. Once you have determined that its done, drain most but not all of the liquid from the pot. Let the meat rest for 10-15 minutes and begin shredding. Be careful as the meat will be hot and will throw off a lot of steam. Once you have finished shredding its time to add your favorite barbeque sauce. One of my favorites is Bone Sucking Sauce Add liberally to taste. For serving I like potato rolls and coleslaw to make into a delicious sandwich. Enjoy and let me know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plaxo Badge